Forums » Ideas » Eliminate captchas for good workers who have completed more than a certain number (e.g. more than 10,000) of HITs.

Eliminate captchas for good workers who have completed more than a certain number (e.g. more than 10,000) of HITs. Vote for it here!

Sign in/Register to reply to this post.

light_dragonfly, elated_mongoose, clear_mountain_lion, cheerful_panda, bad_badger, testy_cat, and disgusted_flamingo

say thanks for this post

One point this awesome suggestion raises is that a lot of captchas are actually another form of unpaid labor. Companies use captchas to OCR books and images. So it’s almost like saying “not only do captchas bleed our time, but they also are producing value for someone else.”

perfect_gopher, light_dragonfly, elated_mongoose, cheerful_panda, and bad_badger

say thanks for this post

I think this is a good idea, but 10,000 HITs is way too low of a number. In the first 10 days of a Turkers’ “life” they can complete 100 HITs a day, or 1,000 HITs. Thereafter they can do 3,800 HITs per day. That means after just thirteen days they can hit 10,000 HITs. A single metric for determining a “good” worker probably won’t work. How about:

1) Completed at least 50,000 HITs 2) Turking for at least 6 months 3) Approval rating of at least 98%

If you can achieve those milestones, you are proving to everyone that you are dedicated to quality and therefore have “earned” the right to say you’re not a scammer and therefore don’t need CAPTCHAs. Honestly, I think that should just be the metric at which Masters is automatically granted! As an international worker, I think having a different metric for losing CAPTCHA is important since non-US workers can’t get Masters anymore (anecdotally, Amazon has never confirmed it.)

delightful_turkey, frightened_owl, vast_anaconda, and cheerful_panda

say thanks for this post